Carrie from our Facebook community made “a slightly scaled down version…” of shakshuka, an Isreali breakfast dish, and was kind enough to share it with us! Thanks, Carrie!
- 1 t olive oil
- 1/4 c scallions, chopped
- 1/4 c red peppers, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp)
- 1 c Rotel Original Tomatoes & Green Chilies
- 1/4 t cumin
- 1 t tomato paste
- 2 large eggs
- Heat oil on medium heat and add scallions & red peppers. Saute 7-9 minutes.
- Add garlic, saute a minute more.
- Add tomatoes & cumin (salt & pepper if desired), cover & cook 2 minutes.
- Remove cover and cook 6-8 minutes more to thicken.
- Stir in tomato paste (if using) and cook another minute.
- Reduce to low heat & make 2 cavities in mixture with a spoon. Break 1 egg into a small dish and slip into cavity. Repeat with the other egg.
- Cover and cook 7-10 minutes, until whites are set. Sprinkle with feta cheese and serve.