First method for omnivores and pescatarians:
- If you are using uncooked rice, put 2 cups water in saucepan and bring to boil while sautéing vegetables.
- Sauté onion, peppers, garlic and chorizo for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in the uncooked rice and chopped tomatoes with boiling water, cover, then cook over a high heat for 12 mins.
- Uncover, then stir – the rice should be almost tender. Stir in the prawns, with a splash more water if the rice is looking dry, then cook for another min until the prawns are just pink and rice tender.
Second method for vegans:
- Sauté tofu in pan until lightly browned. Set aside.
- Sauté vegetables until tender.
- Add tomatoes, soy chorizo, rice and boiling water.
- Cover, then cook over high heat for about 12 minutes, until rice is done.
- Add tofu and stir.
Third method for using cooked leftover rice:
- Same as above, except omit boiling water. Simply stir in cooked rice and heat through. Add small amounts of water as needed if it looks too dry.
Fourth method for the oven:
- If you don’t want to spend time at the stove you can bake this dish in the oven. Put the onion, peppers, chorizo, garlic and oil into an ovenproof dish, then bake for 15 mins at 400 degrees. Stir in rice, tomatoes and water, cover, then bake for another 20 mins, stirring in prawns for the final 2 mins.