Grandma MacDonald‘s Christmas Cake
- 1 cup plus 4 TBS butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup finely chopped mixed candied fruit peel (about 10 oz)
- 1 1/2 cups dried currants
- 2 cups golden raisins
- 1 cup dark raisins
- 1/2 cup candied cherries, halved
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup ground almonds
- sherry, rum or brandy
- marzipan and royal icing, for decorating
- Mix together butter and brown sugar.
- Combine candied fruit peel, currants, raisins in a separate dish. Toss these together with some of the flour to coat.
- Cut candied cherries in half.
- Mix eggs into butter/sugar mixture, then add dry ingredients.
- Stir in 1/4 cup sherry rum or brandy, I prefer sherry.
- Put mixture in 12×3 springform pan which has been lined on the bottom with buttered wax paper, also butter sides of pan. Mixture should not be more than one inch from top.
- Bake at 275F middle of the oven for 2 hrs until cake tester comes out clean.
- Let cake cool for 30 minutes, remove from pan and let cool completely, remove wax paper from bottom. Wrap the cake in wax paper and foil, should keep for a month.
- Open about once a week, pierce all over with darning needle, pour a little sherry on the top and let it soak in. Keep wrapped until ready to serve.
- Cover cake with a layer of rolled marzipan and decorate with a Christmas theme.