I was craving an egg McMuffin (yes, I know it’s bad for me) and came up with this unusual alternative. A different way to serve cauliflower.
No Carb Breakfast Sandwich
1 head cauliflower
2 slices bacon
1 slice swiss cheese
1. Trim leaves off head and slice stem off, level with bottom florets.
2. With large serrated knife, working from center of head, slice vertically to get four 1/2 in. thick slices. (Enough for 2 sandwiches, save the outer florets for another use.)
3. Over medium high heat, fry the bacon in a nonstick pan.
4. When bacon is half done, move to the edges of the pan and place two of the cauliflower slices in the center of the pan.
5. Fry about 3-4 on either side till golden brown and crispy.
6. Here’s the tricky part. Break an egg over each slice, quickly coaxing the white with your spatula to stay on top of the cauliflower slice. Gently poke the yolk so it spreads a little.
7. When the egg is partially set, place the cheese on one cauliflower slice and the bacon on the other.
8. Cover the pan, turn the heat to low until the eggs set and the cheese melts, just a minute or two.
9. Carefully flip one slice on to the other, salt and pepper to taste, and serve!