Vegan/GF Carrot Cake and Zucchini Bread Oatmeal
A huge thank you to Kimberly from our Facebook community for sharing this delightful breakfast recipe from 86 Lemons.
- ½ cup steel-cut oats (use gluten-free, if desired)
- 1½ cups vanilla-flavored non-dairy milk (such as coconut, almond, rice, etc. – I used coconut milk)
- 1 small carrot, grated
- ¼ small zucchini, peeled and grated (I used a little more, maybe ½ small zucchini)
- pinch of salt
- pinch of nutmeg
- pinch of ground cloves
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar or maple syrup or agave nectar
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
- I also added 1 tsp. of pure vanilla extract.
THE NIGHT BEFORE:
Oil the crock of your slow cooker. Combine all of the ingredients, except pecans, in the slow cooker. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
IN THE MORNING:
Stir the oatmeal, taste and adjust the seasonings, and add more milk, if needed. Top with chopped pecans.